The more it is trodden on, the faster it grows.

05 November 2012

so, every year there's this Book Fair in Santiago to which I go willing to suffer, because books are expensive. But it's a nice experience and sometimes you find good offers and such. This year I went with 3/4 of our book club and spent the entire time thinking we should probably read 50 Shades of Grey just because of its ubiquity (not a chance, though. There's no convincing MJ to go with it, so we're reading Anthony Bourdain's The Nasty Bits instead.)

And then I found this:


Stickers! of famous authors! on bicycles! Most of them reading! There are stickers of Latin American authors, like Roberto Bolaño and Julio Cortázar, but also of the likes of Virginia Woolf and Hemingway (books on the floor, rifle in his hand). And I might be suffering from an attack of consumerism, but I want to buy them all. And then play with them like paper dolls. And invent romances between Cortázar and Borges, and María Luisa Bombal (sadly more famous because of her attempt to kill her husband than because of her literary accomplishments) and Hemingway. And make them new clothes and little stacks of books that I think they'd find interesting ("what do you think of Isabel Allende's last novel, Roberto?" I would ask, innocently.)
Jorge Luis Borges

Virginia Woolf

2 comments:

  1. Love the stickers!
    I am also starting to think I should read 50 shades just because everyone is talking about it. I suspect it would be the kind of book that I would just want to throw across the room every page I read but unless I actually read it I feel like I have no right to comment on it and besides others in my book group have expressed a desire to read it, so I suspect I will end up reading it. I am hoping I can borrow a copy, I certainly don't want to spend money on it. Books are also expensive here in Australia which is frustrating, the result is that it has driven me to purchase online from places like bookdepository. Anyway love the stickers and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably stop reading it after fifty pages, 'cause I'm already a slow reader, so how am I going to read all the good books I want to read if I keep wasting time with the ones that don't hold any appeal for me?

      Delete